Tenancy Advice

Different states have different residential tenancy laws and very different access to advice, especially for tenants. The first stop for advice is often the Tenants Union or equivalent (if it exists) in each state. If you go to these websites you should find the appropriate advice for your area, including in some cases invaluable fact sheets and form letters that you can download, adapt and send off, covering just about any eventuality.

We'd recommend landlords as well as tenants take advantage of these great services as they are the best way for everyone to know what their rights and responsibilities are.
Meanwhile, here are the direct links to services in your area, including government offices. Clicking on the links should take you directly to the appropriate website.


Northern Territory



South Australia



Western Australia

Residential tenancy laws in WA changed radically in 2013.  Make sure you know why regulations apply to you.